Saturday, May 26, 2018

Makeup for Just a Dollar?

Recently I saw a YouTuber post a video about her first mpressions on some "dollar makeup" finds.  I figued I would try them out as well - but I didn't get anything on which she had given negative comments.
So this is what I received in my package, and my first impression of what I purchased.

AOA 10-piece makeup brush set:  the YouTuber had noted that she was surprised at how soft the bristles were on the brushes.  Many inexpensive brushes are not soft - they are stiff, rigid and not worth the money you paid.  I have to say, I was very surprised at these brushes, they are very soft an the bristles are nice and flexible. I will need to test and see how well they are at grabbing makeup and applying it to my face.  I also bought a few additional brushes because, well, $1.00 each!
The only thing I didn't like - the smell of the case they come in. It stinks like cheap plastic, and the odor is quite strong.  (*After letting the case air out the odor has mostly gone away.)
Recommend level - 4 (out of 5) - I like the brushes - they are soft, but firm - hold the eyeshadow powder and glides across my skin.


AOA Makeup remover cleansing wipes:  This is a package of pre-moistened wipes with rose water.
Recommend Level: 2 (out of 5) - The smell is like a light rose-scented cleaner, the cloths are scratchy, and they really dried out my skin - to the point that my skin hurt when  put on moisturizer. They did remove my makeup, which is why they get a 2 and not a 1.

AOA Wonder Blender: A latex-free, hi-def sponge
Recommend Level: 4 (out of 5) - I"m still new to the blenders, so it seems a little firm, but t did blend my foudation out smoothly.

AOA Brush Cleaning Egg: Hi quality silicone egg-shaped tool to help clean makeup brushes (instead of the palm of the hand).
Recommend Level: 5 (out of 5) - Easy to use, and got my foundation brush really clean! Much better than just the palm of my hand.

AOA Blender Base: A holder for the Wonder Blender sponge so it can dry without sitting on the counter or sink. (genius!)
Recommend Level: 5 (out of 5) - This is a perfect little holder for the blender. I can find nothing wrong with it.

Santee Smoky Eyes Shimmer Eyeshadow Sticks: These had some really good reviews, so I got one in each color: Bronze, White, Smoky (Deep Burgandy), Blue (looks like cobalt), Navy Blue (looks more like sky blue), Silver, Black, and Purple. First glance, they are very pretty.  We'll see how they go on...
*Update - I did not like eyeshadow sticks. They pulled and tugged on my skin, they faded after a few hours of wear, and some of them broke off.
Recommend Level: 1 (out of 5). Some people may love these, but I was not a fan.

AOA Wonder Stick HD Concealer in 2307 (supposed to be Peach, but looks like a medium beige)
Recommend Level: 2 (out of 5) - Website doesn't really do a good job at showing actual colors... this "Peach" is really orangey and kind of dark. It was a bit streaky, and not very smooth - did not cover at all.

Santee Eye Primer Long Lasting Shadow Base in 01-Matte (definitely the lightest they had)
Recommend Level: 3 (out of 5) - It is ok. Not great, but not horrible. Didn't give a good covereage, but it did hold my eyeshadow on all day....

AOA Wonder Metal Liquid Lipstick in 2221 Cosmo - It is a deep dusty rose, metallic.
Recommend Level: 4.5 (out of 5) - the only reason I don't give a 5 is because my lips felt dry and sticky, but the color is phenonmenal, and covered very nicely!

Kleancolor Eyeshadow Trio in Cookie, Kleancolor Eyeshadow Trio in Caribbean, Kleancolor Eyeshadow Trio in Thistle, Kleancolor Beautician Lab eyeshadow palette in Visionary - These eyeshadows are surprisingly pigmented, soft, and easy to blend.
Recommend Level - 5 (out of 5) - I recommend using a good primer as a base, but for $1, these are a great buy.

Kleancolor American Icon Baked Shadow in Pearl - Very pretty, pigmented, and easy to blend.  Didn't notice a whole lot of dust or fallout. Recommend using a primer base.
Recommend Level: 5 (out of 5)

And (1) Mobile Phone Ring Stent - my sister-in-law had one she bought from the Philipines and loved it (She paid $5 I think, this one was only $1)
Recommend Level: 2 (out of 5). Novelty is a great idea, but it broke after about a month of constant use. <sad face emoji>


So, do I like Shop Miss A and their products?  Yes.  Do I recommend them?  Yes, with some caution. Not a fan of the little trinkets, and not a fan of the pencil shadow sticks, but I think it is a great way to try new makeup or colors at an inexpensive cost. I will definitely purchase more.

Do you shop at Shop Miss A?  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment